10 Easy Steps for Keyword Research
I really don’t need to waste my time telling you that how import is keywords for your blogs, websites and Digital Marketing strategy. There are many outstanding articles on the web which can give you competition.
Don’t worry, just use them.
All great articles are made up of great keywords; You can take Ideas that how to make a good keyword research for your won, this articles can teach you how to form professional and effective keywords.
You need to do some pre-research work before collecting your keywords. Read my pre-research activity before deciding keywords.
Keyword research technique is not universally proven to be one but you can optimize or collect keywords for your blog with help of some tools and suggestions.
• Know your Company: (Your Industry vend and Competitors )
• Know your website: (authority, number of pages, quality of contents, ULS’s, Metadata, etc )
• Know resources: (Budget and deadlines )
• Know your Goals: (sales, branding, exposure, leads, traffic )
This is the reason you cannot find one defined strategy to do keyword research, sometimes you mess up within your own steps while doing keyword research.
My step by step guide will help you to do keyword research:
1. Understand why keyword research is Important.
Keyword research is an important technique to make your website/blog more popular, A proper keyword research will help your website to rank on top of search engine result pages. It will also help you to write articles with trending phrases.
• Helps you to connect with your visitors.
• Get a higher rank in SERP.
• Helps you to track latest trends.
• Helps you to find out popular product and competitors.
• Improves Traffic to your website.
2. Decide a topic you want to focus while doing keyword research.
Before doing keyword research decide a topic for your task, deciding a topic will help you to focus on a niche and clear your direction while doing keyword research. For example, If you are doing marking activity for cloths industry your topics will be like:
3. Brainstorm to collect keywords.
Cool down your mind and start thinking about some keywords and phrases you think people will search for. Get a writing pad and a pen to write down all the keywords comes to your mind. Create at least 15 phrases or keywords for each topic you had decided as topics. This will be your raw material to produce a great keyword bunch.
Men’s T-shirt under 1000rs.
This is not your final list but now you know a rough draft about what visitors will search to find your products/company.
4. Use Google suggestions.
If you are not able to think about a keyword or phrase you should use Google Suggestion.
Just type and search your topic on Google.
For example, I decided to search for Ripped Jeans.
Below are the keywords.
This is the search terms people search for while finding a similar product. You can repeat the same thing with all the search term you got from Google suggestions.
5. Use both head keywords and long tail keywords.
Always remember to include both short and long keywords in your Keyword Research, People either search for a short one-word keyword or a long keyword which is a kind of phrase. Every person has its own way to search on Google, it is better than you should include both head and long tail keywords. People Search just by typing a single word or by typing a two, three or more words even sometimes a phrase.
Short terms are searched more compared to long tail keywords, Hence short terms are of high competition and it takes time to rank on head keywords.
Vise Versa Long tail keywords are comparatively less competitive and it is easy to rank in SERP.
Short / head keyword: Denim
Long tail keyword: torn denim wear for men
Long tail keywords are more beneficial because it ranks fast in SERP and people search with long tail keywords when they are highly interested in a particular product or service because long tail keywords are more descriptive.
6. See how your competitors are ranking on with these keywords.
The best way to find out that your keyword research is correct or has errors is to see that how your competitors are ranking for same keywords. If you find that your competitors are ranking for certain keywords you may consider using those keywords for your strategy too. It is a smart choice that you must consider competitive keywords rather than low competitive keywords.
Competitive keywords are difficult to rank but have good value, it is better to choose competitive keywords rather than undervalued keywords. Low competition keywords can rank fast but does not has value.
7. Use Google Keyword Planner Tool.
After making a checklist of Keywords you can use Google Adwords tool to pull up your Keywords more efficiently. By using Google Adwords you can learn more about these keywords like its value, completions, and searches volume. After that, you will have to decide which keywords you want to use for your campaign.
The Keyword Planner will help you in following ways.
• Searching a new Keyword.
• Get multiple Keyword lists
• Get Search Volume.
• Know about latest trends.
• Get Click and Cost performance.
• Competitors Performance.
• Historical Performance.
8. Carefully Choose your keywords.
• Try to avoid very high competitive keywords in a start, Very high competitive keywords does not mean that it is good for your strategy. Sometimes very high competitive keywords are very difficult to rank at the start.
• Try using Long tail keywords or keywords which are more descriptive, Keywords which are of one word are difficult to rank at the start but a descriptive keyword can be comparatively easy to rank.
• Check your competitors Metadata. Checking Competitors meta tags will help you to decide which keywords you can use for your strategy.
• Take suggestions from others will deciding keywords. Search someone who is interested in your product or service and tell them to Google search for a product if they want to buy it now. every time a person searches you get a keyword.
9. Using Keywords.
After Deciding Keywords you just need to use it properly on your website. Just by stuffing keywords here and there into your website will end up creating a mess for your users. Let keywords fit naturally into content. Keyword stuffing is also against Google norms, Too much of keyword stuffing will also lead to confusing your visitors, we don’t want a onetime traffic we want a visitor to return again to our site for his queries. Also, include keywords in your metadata.
10. Update your Keywords Frequently.
Remember to stay updated with latest trended keywords; it is not necessary that once a competitive keyword you had selected is still having same search volume. Changing Keywords according to current trend/search queries will help your website staying up to date.
Always Remember with Great Keywords comes Great Traffic.